- Virology.ca Tools
- Virus Wiki
Viral Genome Organizer
NOTE: This tool requires Java Runtime Environment 1.7 or higher. Download it here: Java Runtime Environment.
Viral Genome Organizer (VGO) is an easy-to-use Java genome browser. It can be used to display information about a genome, including its genes, ORFs and start/stop codons. It can also be used to perform a regular expression search, a fuzzy motif search, and a masslist search. Because VGO talks to our database of genome sequences (VOCs) it can be used to compare genomes.
With this program, you can:
- view genes and predicted ORFs in one or a series of genomes.
- display start and stop codons within the sequence
- search for sequences within genomes
- using regular expressions; e.g GGATCC or TTTTT[ATCG]T
- using a fuzzy search pattern; e.g. GGATCC allowing one mismatch
- for genes with the highest AT composition
- use a GUI to select and extract regions of a genome
- display orthologs in a set of genomes by using the GUI to select a gene in another genome
- display a plot of nucleotide composition.
- search for the longest oligonucleotide shared between a series of unaligned genomes
- search the translated genome for matches to mass spec peptides
- graphically display data from other programs on top of the genome display
If you’re new to VGO, click on the launch button (on the right) and use the Quick Start Page to learn the basics (or if you’re like us… just start clicking!).
The VBRC also provides additional help resources for VGO:
- How to doc; short descriptions of certain analyses you might want to do.
- VBRC Help Book; our comprehensive reference manual.
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Finally, just email us a question and we’ll gladly help you out.
If you use this resource please cite the relevant papers (publication list).
Lefkowitz, E. J., Upton, C., Changayil, S. S., Buck, C., Traktman, P., Buller, R. M. L. 2005.
Poxvirus Bioinformatics Resource Center: a comprehensive Poxviridae informational and analytical resource. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005 33: p. D311-D316
C. Upton, D. Hogg, D. Perrin, M. Boone and N. Harris, 2001.
Viral Genome Organizer: A system for analyzing complete viral genomes. Virus Research 70, 55-64.
Tagged with: flu